back to article Ethereum just checked that part of a Zcash transaction was legit

The testnet for Ethereum's next big update has successfully verified an important part of a transaction with the virtual cryptocurrency Zcash, bringing the dream of making the blockchain network more privacy-focused just a tiny bit closer to reality. In blockchain protocols such as Bitcoin, all the nodes have to validate all …

1. Semtex451

Is it just me or is there something depressing about all this?

2. gudguy1a

Depressing & Scary

Yes, it is somewhat depressing.

And it is also scary, because I work in Intelligence & Cybersecurity and I am one of that think long and hard about security - criminal activities, malicious activities, etc... While privacy is a VERY good thing, it is not such a good thing when it comes to anonymity where criminal elements dwell/crawl/slither.... And certain government activities, pick a government (i.e. US Attorney General wanting a web site to turn over web site info so they can track all those individuals {& yes, that particular AG is a slime bucket - allegedly...})

1. DropBear
      Big Brother

Re: Depressing & Scary

Yes! We must distinguish Good Privacy from Bad Privacy and make sure none of the latter is allowed to exist while we begrudgingly tolerate the former.

3. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Byzantuim eh?

Lets just hope that it doesn't annoy the Catholic Church too much..

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I want crypto currency to work. No bullshit I really do. And when I say really work I mean I'd like for some flavour of crypto currency to become popular, mainstream and probably most importantly, easy enough for joe public to use for it to become a credible contender / competition against the traditional establishment of "real" banks.

I do understand that software needs to be perfected until fit for purpose but the sorry situation is that it's now 8 years since crypto currency was invented as a concept and the whole crypto currency industry (if it can be called that) is still stuck in the fannying about stage..exactly like the rest of the software industry.

There's no hope for mainstream adoption until things stabilize.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. salamamba too

except for "poncing a fag".

AKA how to get immediately banned from American moderated chat-rooms.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

'twas always bumming a fag where I grew up.

5. Gustavo Fring

MEAT PIE IS QUITE british

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like