back to article Cortana smokes Invoke: Redmond's chatty assistant bails from the only smart speaker it called home

Microsoft has officially exited the smart-home digital-assistant market: the one, lone smart-speaker with its Cortana service built in – Harman Kardon's Invoke – will no longer be able to use Redmond's service. A software update on March 10 will be pushed out by Harman Kardon to disable Cortana on Invoke gear, a major selling …

1. Franco

Cortana was actually very good at being Shazam without all the spam, or was until Microsoft killed Groove Music and there was no money in IDing songs anymore.

Still yet to see the appeal of smart speakers though, I have an Echo Dot (it was a gift) and it's off most of the time. My new TV wanted to enable integration with Alexa during setup, I politely declined that option.

2. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Deals, deals, I got deals

Current digital assistants are like having commission-paid sales people popping into your home. I don't want buttons on my phone and remote controls that wake them up any more than I'd want to use the vending machines on a used car lot.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bixby, which Samsung continues to insist is feeling fine and getting stronger

obituary ahoy, but bixby... yeah, the force is strong with this one. As was with the line of Samsung cameras, the day before Samsung pulled the plug :)

4. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

Farewell, Cortana.

You'll not be missed, and neither will your stupid name. They should've just been honest and called you Clippy from the start.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Farewell, Cortana.

I'd politely disagree, that in the early days Cortana had been fairly solid functionally, and out of the "Virtual Assistants" she was the only one with a built up identity. The rub was that Apple, Google, and M$ all believed the lies or self delusion their engineering teams spun, that a fully synthetic ML model based the cloud would ever make it over the finish line.

Instead Bezos got Alexa running circles around everyone else because when the AI team couldn't deliver on their promises, he just spent the money to do it the hard way. Actual people, working their actual asses off to produce all the skills the other platforms lacked.

Now Alexa is essentially the only show in town, as Apple refuses to admit defeat publicly, but has backed off all but the simplest features of it's voice assistant. Siri isn't evolving, and isn't getting much branding love anymore. Google's approach fits nicely with dumping "free" almost but not quite good enough crap on the market so it can spy on you, and they think their personality free assistant is exactly that, good enough that they aren't trying to catch Bezos. The humiliation of their partnership with Nest didn't help.

Cortana could have succeeded in a bunch of different ways, but instead what could have been wins for M$ like the Skyrim voice port went to the competition because they were trying to make Cortana simultaneously cool and boring enough for suits. M$ could have inked deals to re-release the old Infocom catalog, or read storybooks, or a dozen other things to capitalize on the substantive personality and backstory they chose. Instead I think their management had a hard time envisioning anything other than a cellphone hands free assistant, and they killed off their phone division.

5. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

I see you are were trying to create a digital assistant. Do Did you want some help with that?

6. Missing Semicolon Silver badge

Refunds?

Since one of the features printed on the box it came in is now gone?

1. Mike 16

Re: Refunds?

I see you are commenting from an alternate universe, where EULAs do not always gut any potential for "fit for purpose" claims.

If it's not too much trouble, could you say which platform will allow me to move there?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like