Ancient Roman version of The Register?

This topic was created by 27escape .

1. 27escape
    Happy

Ancient Roman version of The Register?

This image (http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/67333000/jpg/_67333533_staffordshire-hoard-624.jpg) at the BBC would suggest so (story link http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-22359844)

1. LinkOfHyrule

Re: Ancient Roman version of The Register?

Very good!

I bet their hardware section had reviews of the latest sun dials, chariots and bath-house accessories!

1. LinkOfHyrule
        Paris Hilton

...or whatever the Romans had, I can't remember its too early in the morning, something about central heating and funny communal toilets no doubt!

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
          Happy

Chariots were militarily obsolete (and had been for a centuries), as every poor barbarian found out who used them against the legions. So I guess they'd only get mentioned in a column like 'this old box on wheels'...

I guess you could have reviews of the top ten nationalities of slave. British slaves are strong, but surly, requiring regular beatings to maintain. Whereas your Greek slave is well educated and would make an excellent tutor or business manager - however can require oiling with expensive wine.

My favourite Roman bathtime accessory was found at Pompei. In one of the public baths, the changing room walls are covered in frescoes a bit like the Kama Sutra. Lots of people at it, in different sexual positions. At first it was just assumed that everyone likes some nice rumpy-pumpy to look at, and the Romans were a randy old bunch. But then someone noticed that each picture had a hole in the wall for a peg - to hold a basket for clothes. So it looks like this was set up for people to be able to remember which peg was theirs. i.e. my clothes are in the doggy-style basket...

I'm sure that Lewus Paigus would have written many pieces on the waste and inefficiency of the purchasing of military equipment. Plus how the archers and overpaid cavalry weren't up to giving the proper support required by the poor bloody infantry.

Apparently COBOL version LXVIII has just been launched at the Forum, and will be reviewed next week.

1. TeeCee Gold badge

I liked the Roman tokens, often found at military installations, which have naughty pics on.

They're actually brothel tokens and the naughty pic means you know exactly what you're paying for, no matter which far-flung corner of the Empire your Auxiliary unit hails from. Rather interestingly, the cost associated with each different naughty activity depicted has not changed (when expressed as a percentage of a military grunt's pay) in the intervening 2000 years....

One that reduced me to tears was Adam Hart-Davis looking at a military crapper at one of the forts on Hadrian's wall. Rows of stone seats with holes in above drainage channels which would have had water running through them:

"If you follow this channel along here and down here, you get to here, where it exits through the wall. Excavations here have shown that outside the wall beneath this point is the Vicus, or civilian settlement, which gives you a good idea of what the Roman military thought of civilians...."

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon