Reply to post: Stupid permissions & behaviour model

Android clampdown on calls and texts access trashes bunch of apps

Diogenes

Stupid permissions & behaviour model

I will admit I haven't updated my code for a while(last updated for Marshmallow & databinding v1) for an app I wrote which I side load onto my tablet/phone that only I use which I use to wrap my head around a new programming environments or recommended 'best practices' as I know the problem domain quite well and its only a small db app, only useful to me which I have rewritten many many times. The original incarnation was written in Access v1, then through all incarnations of VB & Delphi, Visual Studio (.net, WinForms, WPF, TIFKAM), Objective C for iOS and various flavours of Android Studio - thinks next school holidays must rewrite for 'Pie' using Kotlin & Jetpack). Anyway, with that update I only wanted to store both the app & data on the sdcard, the number of other stupid permissions I had to include, and boilerplate handlers, so that this could happen; and stop the phone/tablet crashisng when I was using the app and the phone rang or received a text or a push notification for the app that I forgot to turn it off for was ridiculous, and because I asked for permission x also need permission y etc.

If I had been an user trying to download it, and looked at the required permissions I would have asked WTF does it need all these for & not downloaded it . I hope things have changed.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon