Reply to post: Re: On air compression

Bye bye MP3: You sucked the life out of music. But vinyl is just as warped

Nattrash

Re: On air compression

@ CrazyOldCatMan

Not sure whether these quality grades were always like that, but can confirm differences on a case to case basis. Can remember buying UB40s Signing Off when it just came out. Funny thing was however, when I played it, that it sounded very muffled and with a lot of hiss. On top of that, the hole in the middle wasn't centered, making the UBs sound like that man, who had a pair too many, singing, while riding his bicycle on his way home from the pub. I took it back to the shop where I bought it (Yes youngsters, there were actual shops, with real life people, the fleshy type, where you could go to listen and buy music! Or voice your complaint! Or just hang out with other people. That you could see. And talk with! ;-).

They then told me that it was a version pressed low budget somewhere in Spain. Which they all were because this was an "independent release" thing, or something like that. No better versions available. Later I found the CD in one of those "Discount" racks and bought it on an nostalgic urge. And was surprised how "clear" it sounded. But have to agree with commentards here that this "new" sound takes a lot of getting used to after you got used to the earlier version.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon