Reply to post:

More than half of companies rethinking back-to-office plans amid variant uncertainty and vaccine mandates – survey

Binraider Silver badge

Overcrowded offices and car parks, inadequate facilities to go round many employees. Expensive rent, expensive and long commutes.

Do any of us really want that? Unless you're in the business of extracting money from RTB costs?

No, we don't. And that's why my employer has made hybrid working the absolute default - irrespective of COVID. Unless you work in the field, 99% of what you do is over email or a spreadsheet anyway.

The only thing we really lose out on is the staff interaction; especially for new joiners; and I freely admit that is a serious blocker to training / not getting the buzz of what is happening.

The office is now essentially a conferencing facility to allow for those types of interactions, and teams can choose when they want to go in.

By the way, cutting out all those Diesel emissions from old trains, or oil burning audi company cars lumbering up and down the M6 isn't a bad thing either.

Employees have seen better, and if employers want to continue to act like dinosaurs with rigid 9-5, fixed desks and operating locations they are missing a trick. I'd encourage anyone working for a dinosaur to come look for something better. There's a lot of us that have a rather more evolved and relaxed attitude...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon