Reply to post: Re: "mobe-makers sometimes resort to less-capable cameras"

Focus on the camera, mobile devs: 48MP shooters about to become the sweet spot

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: "mobe-makers sometimes resort to less-capable cameras"

"The only issue is that I can't carry it in my shirt pocket."

- and that's much of the issue. I have a Canon 5dMk2 with a selection of professional grade lenses. The sensor is only just over the 20Mp mark but the kit has the ability to take stills (and video) to beat any phone camera. I thought long about upgrading to the 5dMk4 but, nowadays, I rarely use my Canon kit. My iPhone is always to hand and, for >90% of the time, manages fine. There are times when the extra control and longer lens of the Canon would have allowed an improved shot, but my phone has never given me anything I couldn't use. Insofar as the longer lenses are concerned, it's often a case of getting closer (which is usually easier with a phone than a pro-DSLR). Moving in changes the perspective, so it's not the same shot, but it rarely turns a good shot into a bad one.

I used to shoot everything in RAW and then develop in Lightroom - I've now ditched LR as the improvements I could get (with the extra work involved) are wasted when almost everything is going to be viewed on a screen and, apart from competition shots, not examined closely.

Back in the days of film, it could take me ages to get the one shot I wanted. With digital, I can take more and then pick (laziness, of course). And good enough is good enough; striving for perfection is often the enemy of success.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon