Reply to post: Re: You can't legislate evil out of society

Furious gunwoman opens fire at YouTube HQ, three people shot

tim292stro

Re: You can't legislate evil out of society

"...For those who don't understand a gun when misused is just a convenient device for those who want to harm other people.

Harming other people is the primary function of a handgun, so "misuse" doesn't really fit..."

Except you're cherry-picking... >>Legally<< fatally harming other people IS the primary purpose of a described "self defense" weapon, not ILLEGALLY harming people. It is actually legal to shoot and kill someone even as non-law-enforcement in the United States, and as such many guns are sold specifically for that purpose, and so they must be effective at the specified task to be readily sold. Some guns are made for hunting (i.e. semi-automatic rifles with big scopes that are easy to reload), some exclusively for target practice (double barrel shotguns aren't much use in combat). Those are legal activities that don't include murdering people. So shooting a person without a lawful cause, using a hunting rifle to kill people listening to a country concert, or using a trap/skeet shotgun to kill your wife or neighbor is by definition a "misuse".

In this same way, I can't think of a single vehicle which is designed to be driven by a drunk driver or used without insurance, all road-going cars are designed to be driven by a fully alert and properly licensed and insured driver. The act of doing so is illegal, though we enjoy the legal usage of the vehicle more than 99% of the time.

Painting a bike with a can of spray-paint is what a can of spray-paint was designed for, snuffing the propellant to get high is a misuse.

Raising sheep for wool and meat is why we do with animals, having a go at one stuck in a fence because one is unable to get a date is a misuse.

So yes, "misuse" does actually fit, as murder, man slaughter, and maiming is actually illegal without just cause, which would make it not murder, man slaughter or maiming... (as legally defined). I can't honestly recall the last gun ad I saw where they said: "bully whacker 1000! It's the perfect gun for shooting up those b@s+@rd$ at your school!", or "Is your life a B*+c#? Our new brain blaster is your exit to the easy afterlife... and you can take your family with you!"

I know it's distasteful, but I see this avoided all the time in gun control arguments and I need to point it out clearly - killing people can and in several clear and logical cases MUST be legal in order for the vast majority of us to enjoy Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness... and unless the existential threats to that belief goes away, you can't get rid of the 2nd Amendment and thus arms/guns have to stay. Heck, even the Met has an armed unit due to that knowledge. If we genuinely believed all threats from all sources were gone, there would be no standing armies or police - or laws for that matter, as their very existence belies that we don't trust everyone do know or do what's "right".

Cheers.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon