Reply to post: Re: Public transport is already self-driving

Transport pundit Christian Wolmar on why the driverless car is on a 'road to nowhere'

Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Public transport is already self-driving

"Good public transport would probably be more efficient and cheaper."

My last gig before I retired was about 40 - 45 minutes commuting by car door-to-door. I had to go in a few weeks later to sign some documents. This prompted me to work out what the the journey would be by public transport. As far as I can remember it went something like this.

5 minutes to walk to the bus stop. The bus only runs at hourly intervals, it used to be 4 an hour and more in rush hour.

40 minutes to town. It used to be 30 but the the bus now makes a diversion to try to cover two old routes instead of one and does neither satisfactorily.

20 minutes wait for the next bus which is also on an hourly schedule.

60 minutes journey. Along one of the country's many overcrowded and unpredictable stretches of motorway.

4 minutes to change to the next bus. Not long in terms of the unpredictable nature of the previous leg.

12 minutes journey by bus arriving about 10 minutes after the target arrival time.

2 minutes walk to the gig. Say 2 1/2 hours if all went well

Anyone who thinks public transport is more efficient is someone who lives on a route where a single journey takes them directly between home and work and back with a frequent service.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon