Reply to post:

Universal basic income is a great idea, which is also why it won't happen

Kaltern

At least this topic isn't yet being discussed on BBC HYS.

Unfortunately, in the UK and US at the very least, it's always going to be the case that those with, generally, couldn't give a fuck about those without. History shows us that this is the case, no matter how many well-meaning folks turn up with their charitable ideas.

UBI has the potential to work. However, all that would happen, is those who set prices, will inevitably set them higher, because there would be a small, but increased amount of spendable money. A loaf of bread will go from £1 to £1.25. These things happen, they always do. Inflation is usually to blame, although currently Brexit is a firm favourite right now - even though it has yet to happen.

Those who DO have more money than the 'working class' will hate the idea of supporting these 'freeloading plebs' - because in the UK at least, that is how people are generally brought up to think. I really dislike my own country. I'm not suggesting everyone should be identical and therefore have no ambition - because ambition drives us forward. But just how many people have come and gone, with the potential to be the next Einstein, just because they don't drive a Merc?

The country - and indeed most of the world, is drunk on capitalism. I'm not one of those ridiculous activists, running around naked, nailing myself to a tree in protest. But it's clear to anyone who has eyes and intelligence, that the world, as a whole, has completely stagnated. There have been no meaningful technological breakthroughs for decades. Meaningless studies by overpaid researchers into why mice prefer sugar over cyanide, snort up funding like coke, while education of the general public suffers. Politicians, who forget the 'By the people, For the People' thing, only exist now to line their own pockets and bend as many poorly thought out Westminster policies as possible. Governments view people as nothing more than taxpayers. And those who can actually afford to pay taxes do whatever they possibly can to avoid it.

The state of world poverty has nothing to do with a lack of UBI. It's entirely due to greed and the belief that money is going to make everything better - assuming you have any.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon