Reply to post: Re: why would anyone link their bank accnt to paypal

Two-factor FAIL: Chap gets pwned after 'AT&T falls for hacker tricks'

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: why would anyone link their bank accnt to paypal

I've been close to having the same thing happen to my AT&T account, I think. We (several family members on the same account) received notice that our passcode had changed. Followed up and AT&T indicated that "someone logged on and changed the passcode". They couldn't tell us who changed it, or where they were from (or even confirm if it's from their app or from the website). Did the change password thing and reset the passcode. A few days later the same deal happened. AT&T was helpful in that they locked the account down completely for us. We left it that way for the rest of the billing cycle, then reset the password in the store. Now we have "enhanced" security, and need password + passcode for any changes.

The unsettling part is not knowing the source. Rogue app on the landfill android tablet they sold (sorry: "gave for free") to my wife? Malware on the home PC? Some brute force attack from a bot farm overseas? Some 400# guy on his bed in his mom's basement? Hard to believe they don't have sufficient logging to track things down.

Was wondering what the end game was. This makes more sense.

Made sure my Paypal account isn't linked to my bank account... Keeping one extra eye on all financial stuff for the time being.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon