Reply to post: Mad MAY - Arse backwards ... as usual

UK Home Office is creating mega database by stitching together ALL its gov records

JaitcH
WTF?

Mad MAY - Arse backwards ... as usual

We, in Canada, are extremely sensitive to governments of any level penetrating our lives too much.

Way back, when the UK government was likely still running on punched cards the Canadian government set up it's Data Bank Structure.

Compartmentalisation was key. The data banks contain information as varied as climate monitoring, geological surveys, securities law compliance, patent applications and grants, surveillance, national security, border control, law enforcement, public health, voter registration, vehicle registration, social security, and statistics.

We also have newer additions such as the National Homelessness Information System (NHIS) database system, Homeless Individuals and Families Information System (HIFIS) - whose data can be transferred to the NHIS system and the Government Electronic Directory Services (GEDS), a directory of Canadian federal public servants throughout the country.

Users are given specific rights and there are data guardians who control/limit access.

In Ontario some data banks share very limited data. For example, drivers licences, with photos, can be accessed by the Cops and the very same photos shared with the Ontario Health Insurance Plan - but users of one are denied access to the other - without judicial permission.

We also have a SIN - Social Insurance Number - that can only be used for five specific reasons and NOT as a universal identifier.

Mad MAY, of course, has a different client base and they want easy access to everything.

The neat thing is, it is extremely easy to screw up systems by messing up the input data. Did you know passport PIX are already available on a multi-user basis? And that the Passport Agency has an extreme interest on where you and your passport have travelled?

Prior to renewing my passports, I legally have three (and three citizenships), I take out the acetone (nail varnish remover) and carefully remove all my visa stickers. I also use another chemical which 'smudges' ink used by governments.

These days, when I get a new passport, I carefully coat the pages with a chemical that males visa removal a breeze and with a wipe of a complimentary chemical removes all those stamps - which means the passport will never get filled and upi get to use it until it's expiry date.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon