Reply to post: NIce opening rant

Subaru Outback Lineartronic: The thinking person’s 4x4

Voland's right hand Silver badge

NIce opening rant

Nice opening rant, wrong conclusion.

It used to be the right one - in the days of the great Forester of old before Toyota made something fit for a supermaket parking out of it. Definitely not Outback though - it cannot get to my summer house (which is a mere dirt track, not even proper offroading) without scraping.

Today the conclusion is actually Isuzu Denver. Starting with the older model 2007 "mid-life" uplift revision and till now (current model) it is the right conclusion of that rant. It drives at 90mph on the autobahn with no fuss. The suspension is on par with a luxury sedan (and much better than the Outback) and it goes anywhere. Including through walls if you ask it.

I test drove the entire Subaru stock from the Toyota acquisition boundary, an L200, a Nissan ballroom truck and an Isuzu when I switched cars last time. Only the Isuzu passed both the offroad test and the suspension quality test. It was entertaining when the car salesman understood that I am not joking when I was pointing at the 3 year old daughter and said "If she likes it". He thought I was joking. That thought lasted until I started lining half of the rear seat area with plastic for the road test. Then he got the message - that I will be using a "live" suspension quality indicator. You should have seen his face at that point :)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon