* Posts by FeepingCreature

206 posts • joined 31 Oct 2018

Page:

New audio server Pipewire coming to next version of Ubuntu

FeepingCreature Bronze badge

Re: Try it!

Pipewire gives me a lot less grief about BT than Pulse. It still doesn't *work*, but plausibly due to some sort of driver issue. (Extremely low range - a problem with the laptop BT driver?)

I remember when Pulse asked me to install a modem driver to get Bluetooth support.

FeepingCreature Bronze badge

Note that this is only true if your sound card doesn't have a mixer.

FeepingCreature Bronze badge

Try it!

Try it! I hear pipewire is a lot better at handling Bluetooth codecs.

Boeing's Starliner CST-100 on its way to the ISS 2 years late

FeepingCreature Bronze badge

Re: Competition

This is the sort of competition a company can only wish for.

Uncompetetive in business or technology, but real enough to satisfy multiple-provider requirements.

Tesla sues former engineer, claims he stole Dojo supercomputer trade secrets

FeepingCreature Bronze badge

So you're saying the employee was stealing worthless information by accident?

Europe's GDPR coincides with dramatic drop in Android apps

FeepingCreature Bronze badge

Re: What Point Costly Applications?

I've paid for SleepAsAndroid, OSMAnd and Podcast Addict, because I use them daily and I want to support the developers. The model was that first they made a good product, and then I liked the product and so paid for it.

OpenAI's DALL·E 2 generates AI images that are sometimes biased or NSFW

FeepingCreature Bronze badge

Original creation separate from abstraction

Is also known as /dev/urandom.

All art is remix.

Google's FLoC flopped, boffins claim, because it failed to provide promised privacy

FeepingCreature Bronze badge

> However, FLoC was not entirely without merit. The researchers note that while there's a relationship between sensitive user demographics like race and income and browsing behavior, the FLoC algorithm they tested did not group users into cohorts based on race or income. That counts for something.

So... it didn't even work? I mean: "our ad targeting mechanism did not create cohorts based on income" should make you do a double-take. One would think income is the single most important dimension for ad targeting.

"Our ad grouping algorithm is so privacy preserving, it can't even detect spending money."

Elon Musk wants to take Twitter public again 'within 3 years'

FeepingCreature Bronze badge

As Matt Levine notes, Elon doesn't actually tend to do the dump step properly - theorizing that he just enjoys pumping.

FeepingCreature Bronze badge

Re: Libtards meltdown

> Very decent of you Steve. Yes, I am clearly making a point - there are limits on what you can say, and some things are unacceptable and should be blocked by Twitter - note that's blocked, as in "you can't say that here", while censored means "you can't say that anywhere". Important distinction, try to remember it. Governments can censor, Twitter can't.

Governments can't censor, because you can always "go elsewhere" (another country). It turns out censorship doesn't actually exist, isn't that cool.

Of course, in practice, moving is hard and takes you out of your social network - but then, that also applies to Twitter.

FeepingCreature Bronze badge

Re: Libtards meltdown

Porn is already allowed on Twitter.

FeepingCreature Bronze badge

So what is it called

when they are "showing you the door" from the public square?

Starts with a C...

Elon Musk flogs $8.4bn of Tesla shares amid Twitter offer drama

FeepingCreature Bronze badge

Re: Reputation system

I disagree with you on the science, but I want to say that regardless, I appreciate your position. Nullius in verba! Without a caustic review environment, science quickly degrades in quality.

FeepingCreature Bronze badge

Re: Irony

The way that the culture war works, is that you are always surrounded by all sites by reasonable people of your own tribe, and yet the news speak only of the insanities of the others.

I've definitely seen this sort of sentiment from the left.

Worried about being replaced by a robot? Become a physicist

FeepingCreature Bronze badge

Deploy a drone and deliver to a window.

Elon Musk set to buy Twitter in $44b deal, promises stuff

FeepingCreature Bronze badge

My amusing pet theory about Covid is that it was a natural occurrence, but Chinese mid-level functionaries covered it up as if it was a lab leak, purely on the chance that it was and they just didn't know about it.

FeepingCreature Bronze badge

Free speech doesn't come with responsibility

It comes with costs. If you have a responsibility to police your speech (according to whom?) then it isn't free. I instead view it as, sometimes people say harmful things; this is a cost imposed on society. And that's okay.

It'd be similar to say "democracy comes with responsibility." No it doesn't! You can vote for whoever you want, for any reason! Sometimes as a result of this bad things will happen, and that's one of the costs that democracy carries with it. As a society we pay those costs, because we believe that the alternative would have other, and possibly higher, costs.

FeepingCreature Bronze badge

Re: Does anyone recall the downfall of Digg?

First of all, anything kills people at scale. Sofas kill people.

Second, if you could reliably recognize medical disinformation, preferably automatically, you'd change the world. Note that "comes from the government" or "comes from a peer-reviewed publication with p < 0.05" are *not* safe indicators that something isn't disinformation!

Why the Linux desktop is the best desktop

FeepingCreature Bronze badge

Re: WTF

Yeah, .local is for user-specific stuff. (All in the spec!) However, this is a deb package that is installed as root, so it shouldn't ever never ever touch any user's home dir. What if you are installing it for another user? What if a new user is added?

StackOverflow propagating misleading information is extremely normal. Always take it with a grain of salt, especially when you don't know enough to judge if the information sounds fishy.

FeepingCreature Bronze badge

Re: WTF

Where are you getting the third? /usr/share/applications is where all apps (installed system-wide) should put it. Anything in $HOME is not for package install to write, ever.

Did you mean /usr/local/share? /usr/local/ is kind of a relic that's rarely used. It's supposed to be for apps installed without consulting the package manager, I think? Like local builds.

The relevant spec is https://specifications.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/latest/

You can read up on all the folders in https://specifications.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html

FeepingCreature Bronze badge

Re: WTF

To be fair, this is 100% NVidia's fault. The folders for where to stick icons for the start menu and the desktop are completely standardized. It'd be like blaming Windows because an exe you downloaded doesn't work.

There's a reason for Linus' famous expletive.

FeepingCreature Bronze badge

Re: LibreOffice, for example, is every bit as good as Microsoft Office

Need to ask - did you try Clementine? What was it missing?

Twitter preps poison pill to preclude Elon Musk's purchase plan

FeepingCreature Bronze badge

Re: Poison pill

You're saying that the most infuriating thing about being a publically traded company is that your company is publically traded?

Elon Musk's latest launch: An unsolicited Twitter takeover

FeepingCreature Bronze badge

Re: Money can't buy maturity

I think this is just what democracy costs. You can't save democracy with censorship, it's like bombs for peace.

Elon Musk won't join Twitter's board after all

FeepingCreature Bronze badge

> I don't see how he expects Twitter to generate an income then.

I mean, it's not like he needs that Twitter profit stream.

French court pulls SpaceX's Starlink license

FeepingCreature Bronze badge

Re: We live in a world where con artists rule the day.

Allow me to be controversial: human life is good, and we should preserve it.

FeepingCreature Bronze badge

Yes, it's expensive. But I think you need to actually put all the numbers on the table - Starlink *and* high-speed internet build-out to every customer it services. Just because it's expensive doesn't mean that it's more expensive than the alternative. At a certain scale, all you are saying is "but, big numbers are big!"

Google talks up its 540-billion-parameter text-generating AI system

FeepingCreature Bronze badge

Re: Able to explain jokes?

That is actually huge, because understanding a setup-punchline joke requires understanding that an agent can have mistaken beliefs.

DeepMind 'grossly inadequate' at tackling sexual harassment, says former staffer

FeepingCreature Bronze badge

> This includes a commitment to communicate more clearly with all DeepMinders about how to raise concerns, enhanced annual training for managers and all employees with respect to limiting unconscious bias

None of that seems like it has anything to do with the actual complaints the article lists. It sort of seems like Deepmind Management thinks it's being asked for symbolic concessions rather than direct process improvements. Of course, we cannot know if that is actually the correct view.

It seems that given actually incontrovertible evidence, an investigation should not take a week, let alone a year. However, that's just to say that one party's depiction of events, at least, must be wrong; this doesn't help us figure out who's, if any, is right.

GNOME 42's inconsistent themes are causing drama

FeepingCreature Bronze badge

kwrite menu bar

File Edit View Bookmarks Tools Settings Help... in 2022.

I do all my coding for work in kwrite. It's simple and gets out of the way. Between fzf, yakuake and kwrite, I have all the IDE features I need.

Debugging source is even harder when you can't stop laughing at it

FeepingCreature Bronze badge

I didn't, but what tempted me to downvote most is precisely the "show of skills and elegance" bit. Lord please save us from all code written by people aiming to show off their skills and elegance. Code is not art, code is a blunt tool driven entirely by purpose. Sure, I like pretty code as much as the next person, but at the end of the day, there is only one arbiter of code quality, and that is the customer. And he doesn't - and shouldn't! - care how slick your abstraction layer is.

All code bends to serve requirements, and code that cannot bend - because it's locked in place by excessive constraints, such as demonstrating the author's refined skill - will break, or be broken.

False advertising to call software open source when it's not, says court

FeepingCreature Bronze badge

"Office Open XML", famously.

FeepingCreature Bronze badge

Subtle difference

This is also why Elastic only describes Elasticsearch as "free and open", not open source.

Startups competing with OpenAI's GPT-3 all need to solve the same problems

FeepingCreature Bronze badge

Re: "lack of common sense and inability to be accurate "

There's a "feeling of making a right argument" and a "feeling of making something up" in humans. So we can exert pressure via this mechanism and notice that we're talking nonsense. But I don't know that the system underneath that, the system that generates the broad strokes of "Well, a math teacher is a ... " " ... human, so they would ... " "... have 32 teeth" in humans is fundamentally different from a text predictor.

I've noticed myself saying things that are utter nonsense, just because they're words that were historically associated. *Usually* I catch myself before actually vocalizing them, or at least notice in hindsight. But GPT has no module that could notice that. That said, there are systems like that - generative-adversarial networks. It seems possible that a transformer set up like a GAN, with a babbler and a nonsense-noticer, could approach the human tier or even surpass it.

(Why surpass it? For "just the part of my brain that makes up things that I could possibly say", GPT-3 is extremely well informed. It would not surprise me if it already has human-level "overhang".)

Linux kernel edges closer to dropping ReiserFS

FeepingCreature Bronze badge

Re: Puzzled

I was using ReiserFS with Gentoo. Like any source-based distro, it involved making lots of small files that were written once, read once, then deleted. ReiserFS was amazing at that, noticeably faster than the competing filesystems at the time.

File suffixes: Who needs them? Well, this guy did

FeepingCreature Bronze badge

Re: Still humans in the mix here not just machines

Separating file name from file type without cratering file explorer performance? I think.

FeepingCreature Bronze badge

Re: Still humans in the mix here not just machines

To be fair, there's no inherent reason why the first 16 bytes or so can't be embedded in the file attributes. Which, if you think about it, is approximately what extensions are anyways.

AWS and Elasticsearch settle trademark infringement lawsuit

FeepingCreature Bronze badge

The taste of something rotten in text form

Elastic claim that Elastic is still "free and open":

> Neither the Elastic License nor SSPL have been approved by the OSI, so to prevent confusion, we no longer refer to Elasticsearch or Kibana as open source. We updated our website and our messaging to refer to these products as “Free & Open,” and when talking about the licenses directly, we describe them as “source-available.” If you notice an area we missed, please let us know, so we can correct it.

> While we have chosen to avoid confusion by not using the term open source to refer to these products, we will continue to use the word “Open” and “Free and Open.” These are simple ways to describe the fact that the product is free to use, the source code is available, and also applies to our open and collaborative engagement model in GitHub. We remain committed to the principles of open source - transparency, collaboration, and community.

-- FAQ: https://www.elastic.co/pricing/faq/licensing

In other words: "we don't want to drop our nice marketing, so we're going to redefine "free" and "open" so that we can keep using them while neither being free software nor open source."

Office Open XML, anyone?

Alarm raised after Microsoft wins data-encoding patent

FeepingCreature Bronze badge

Re: Patenting is wot appens, innit

GIF was patented. Fountain codes and Simplex Noise were patented, which is why nobody used them. MP3 was patented, which is why we got Ogg - I guess "nobody could use it, so we made something better" is one way to spell "tech advances". But in software, "patent" usually just means "use the algorithm that this was based on that was not patented, splinter into divergent areas without ability to incorporate improvements, and wait 20 years." Software patents retard progress.

BOFH: The Geek's Countergambit – outwitted at an electronics store

FeepingCreature Bronze badge

If you really want to take advantage of the i11

Make sure to rebuild your entire system with `gcc -O5`.

UK science stuck in 'holding pattern' on EU funding by Brexit, says minister

FeepingCreature Bronze badge

Re: "Where does it say that's happening?"

Though of course, horse ivermectin is the same chemical as people ivermectin. Also I like the theory that it worked in some studies because those were in countries with heavy parasite infestation, and Covid treatment can make parasites worse. It's a good reminder that while physics works the same way everywhere, biology sometimes does not.

FeepingCreature Bronze badge

Re: "Where does it say that's happening?"

There are many problems with Ivermectin. That it's also given to horses is not one.

I realize that "a probably ineffective medication" doesn't have the same zing to it, but come the hell on.

Have you tried restarting? Reinstalling? Upgrading? Moving house and changing your identity?

FeepingCreature Bronze badge

Would be funnier if...

Yeah but imagine if you burned your house down and then it started working.

Google's DeepMind says its AI coding bot is 'competitive' with humans

FeepingCreature Bronze badge
Mushroom

Or far more worrying, what kind of working system.

Crack team of boffins hash out how e-scooters should sound – but they need your help*

FeepingCreature Bronze badge

(Er, I'm not in the UK.)

FeepingCreature Bronze badge

It's actually cheaper than taking the bus. (Also there's a pandemic on.) 6km both ways, meaning it's just about enough battery charge to not need charging at work even in winter.

I used to take my bike, but it's been stuck in a repair shop for a solid year now, and I'm too much of a doormat to really go annoy them about it.

FeepingCreature Bronze badge

I've been driving my E-Scooter to work for a year. The tires have lost all profile, and since they're solid rubber they're not easily swappable.

How to get banned from social media without posting a thing

FeepingCreature Bronze badge

"oh no, please do not do that" --social media

Page:

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022