* Posts by Smirnov

26 posts • joined 10 Dec 2016

VMware gives its desktop hypervisors the power to spawn local K8s clusters

Smirnov

they only offer Workstation on a 1 year subscription basis

No, they don't. You can buy Workstation and Fusion with a perpetual license, too.

Oh what a feeling: New Toyotas will upload data to AWS to help create custom insurance premiums based on driver behaviour

Smirnov

most likely in the UK, I've not seen it very prevalent else where

The thing you overlook is that driving training in the UK is so poor that it requires something called "advanced motor training" to at least somewhat approach the training levels a regular driver from another country like Germany. UK drivers are amongst the worst drivers in Europe, and that is even without the UK suffering from the amount of transit traffic that goes through many countries in mainland Europe.

There are advanced driving courses in other countries but most of them aren't really comparable to those in the UK as their teaching standard is a lot higher.

Lenovo certifies all desktop and mobile workstations for Linux – and will even upstream driver updates

Smirnov

Re: Hats off to Lenovo

"Refurbished Thinkpads and Thinkcentres are one of the most wonderful and reliable pieces of hardware"

Well, my experience has been a lot different, at least what Thinkpads concerns. From the old T20-T23 series (delaminating displays, overheating) over A30/A31 (cracks in the housing, dying audio), T40/T41 (mobo issues due to flex, hinges), T43p (overheating, hinges), T61 (cracks in the chassis frame, hinges, mobo issues) and so on. Oh, and of course the batteries (I've never seen a ThinkPad battery which hasn't seen a notable loss in capacity after 15 months).

In contrast, our HP nc series and later EliteBooks/zBooks fared a lot better, and have proven to survive a lot better in a commercial setting. As a bonus, their batteries are still near full capacity after two years.

Besides, we run RHEL and SUSE Enterprise Linux on most of our laptops. HP has supported Linux for a very long time, probably longer than any other vendor.

Smirnov

ZFS is rapidly becoming something of a "killer application" for OSes

"ZFS is rapidly becoming something of a "killer application" for OSes, and btrfs really doesn't compare very well."

Only for home users who intend to put a lot of cheap spinning hard drives into a computer without using hardware RAID. Which is exactly what ZFS was made for (Sun developed ZFS for managing large numbers of fibre channel hard drives in a RAID configuration). Other than that, it's not very relevant. Windows won't adopt ZFS (it has its own modern file system ReFS), and even Apple which was initially interested in it has long given up on ZFS for Mac OS.

If you're using hardware RAID or external storage systems (which work transparent) then ZFS is amongst the worst file systems to have, mostly because of its inherent limitations owed to the fact it was designed for spinning rust.

As to BTRFS, it has seen a lot of work in recent years, particular by SUSE (the #2 Linux vendor in the Enterprise space) which uses BTRFS as the default file system, supported of course, for SUSE Enterprise Linux and the free variant openSUSE. The only area where BTRFS isn't yet up to scratch is BTRFS RAID5/6 (which isn't supported by SUSE), and while it's easy to implement BTRFS on mdmraid it's not as useful for the homeuser crowd who ant to fight against data corruption.

India reveals plans to make electronics manufacturing its top industry

Smirnov

with as much equanimity as the British did

But they didn't, which is why we have BREXIT.

AMD takes a bite out of Intel's PC market share across Europe amid microprocessor shortages, rising Ryzen

Smirnov

In what way is it time consuiming?

I remember the argument being that if I ask say a Dell rep about a quote for say a specific config for an R630 server (which is intel based) then he'll be able to instantly give me a price. Simply because Dell sells a lot of R630 servers.

But when it comes to more obscure kit like, heaven forbid, AMD servers like a Dell R7425 then the poor rep would have to spend time checking pricing and maybe even ask colleagues.

Yeah, silly, I know, but that's the corporate world.

From WordPad to WordAds: Microsoft caught sneaking nagging Office promos into venerable text editor beta

Smirnov

Re: The cost is not the bigger issue

"you can't buy it without enterprise licensing"

Wrong. You can buy Windows 10 LTSC without Enterprise licensing from Microsoft, however you have to buy at least 5 licenses of which four can be of something else.

For those that live in the EU, you can just buy a single license from one of the 2nd hand software vendors like UsedSoft in Germany. Fully legal.

Talking a Blue Streak: The ambitious, quiet waste of the Spadeadam Rocket Establishment

Smirnov

So if you ever wonder why Germany and Japan became so strong economically thats why

Well, when WW2 started Germany was also very strong so the excuse of "free American money" (which wasn't really free) doesn't really cut it.

Frankly, Britain had all its chances to become as successful as Germany but pissed it away through laziness and the general incompetence of British leadership. Blue Streak isn't the only case study which demonstrates this (until this day far Britain is the only country on Earth which was on the path to obtain its own space platform, something every other country aspires to, and simply wasted it), there are many similar failures like TSR2. Ask yourself why famous British brands like Mini, Jaguar, Land Rover/Range Rover, Rolls Royce, Bentley and all the others that once had been famous for their poor workmanship and horrible reliability have flourished since they went under foreign leadership. But be careful, because you might have to face some uncomfortable facts about British culture and attitude.

There is a reason why Germany is, again, an economic powerhouse producing some of the best engineering in the world, while Britain is now busy dealing with the mess that is BREXIT. And it has nothing to do with "free American money".

Macs to Linux fans: Stop right there, Penguinista scum, that's not macOS. Go on, git outta here

Smirnov

Especially when the core of your OS is built from code they built...

FYI: Mac OS X is not built on Linux. If anything it took a few things from FreeBSD, amongst NextStep and others:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_(operating_system)

UK getting ready to go it alone on Galileo

Smirnov

Re: UK has the resources

"Do you realize that the UK existed and was very successful a long time before the EEC/EU?"

Yes, when it was still plundering other countries.

At later times, not so much. British goods were generally considered as badly designed, unreliable crap, and the country itself was known as the "Poor Man of Europe", in a worse state than Greece has ever been, which had to seek shelter under the EEC/EU umbrella to save it's sorry asses from declining to true 3rd world status. Somehow this doesn't really ooze 'success' the way you think it does.

The remarkable bit is that, after flourishing under the EU umbrella, Britain seems to be hellbent to go back to being the "Poor Man of Europe", a wish that appears will soon be granted.

Smirnov

Re: All a bit unnecessary?

"The UK cannot be allowed to win from Brexit, so fair negotiations are not on the table."

The thing is that this aren't negotiations.

This isn't like a business deal where both sides try to squeeze out as much as possible, the UK decided to leave so it's up to the UK to declare how it plans to do that, including the Irish border, and what it future status it seeks (mind you that this can't involve talks about trade deals). Simple as that. The EU may offer a little help here and there but from side of the EU there isn't really anything to negotiate, which is why their position has not shifted from day one.

If only Brits, and especially Britain's government, weren't so utterly clueless about how the EU works, BREXIT wouldn't turn out to be such a drama.

EU wants one phone plug to rule them all. But we've got a better idea.

Smirnov

Re: Just add wireless charging

> The standard Apple ones almost seem to be deliberately designed to disintegrate after a year or so.

Which is why I use cables made by Anker. One is in my backpack and has seen so much abuse it's no longer funny, but it's still working fine.

The Apple cables all look like the disintegrate if looked at from the wrong angle.

It's good to be the king: Dell gives HPE hell at top of server charts

Smirnov

Which features are these that iDRAC had over iLO? I wonder because from what I can see iLO has mostly been superior to iDRAC.

Does iDRAC finally have a standalone console, something that's been available for iLO (LOCONS) for years, or do you still have to go through a web browser for a KVM session?

I also prefer HP's RAID controllers (which use Microsemi Adaptec controllers) over Dell's Avago LSI based controllers.

But other than that I agree, HPE has been going downhill with its products and services.

HP is turning off 'Always On' data deals but won't say why

Smirnov

Re: Won't ever buy anything HP again

Well clearly the card you bought wasn't compatible then, was it?

And if that's the reason you won't buy HP in the future then you better stay off from pretty much every other laptop manufacturer out there as they all block unsupported WiFi cards in their BIOS, as this is a requirement to get FCC approval for a device which emits RF radiation.

Smirnov

Re: A very rare "In defence of HP" post

I'm sorry but that is not true. Centrino was Intels brand name for laptops which had an intel CPU, intel graphics and intel WiFi adapter. Centrino had no other requirements than these three, and no, intel did not require laptops to lock up if a non-intel adapter is inserted. HP, like Lenovo and pretty much everyone else in the business market, offered the same systems they sold as Centrino also with non-intel WiFi adapter as an option, although they then could no longer use the 'Centrino' label and benefit from intel's marketing support.

The fact that most laptops lock up if they find a non-approved WiFi adapter is something completely different and totally unrelated to Intel's Centrino campaign. It's a simple measure laptop manufacturers use to make sure only approved WiFi cards are used in their laptops, which is important as WiFi means there's RF radiation leaving the laptop's antenna, which is why manufacturers test laptops and WiFi cards to ensure they maintain compliance at all times. For this reason a laptop BIOS checks the ID of the WiFi adapter and, if it's not one of the models that has been whitelisted, locks the laptop to prevent potentially unintended EMI.

The way around that is to check which cards are supported by a specific laptop, and then just buy the exact part number. For some laptops there are also hacked BIOS versions available which remove the block. Also, there's a way to enable the card by cutting/overtaping a specific pin on the WiFi adapter's connector, but that comes with other downsides. So the best bet is to just buy a compatible card.

Microsoft's Windows 10 Workstation adds killer feature: No Candy Crush

Smirnov

Re: MS lost it with Server releases after 2008-R2

What do you have against Server 2012 R2?

I'd say MS lost it with Server 2016 and Windows 10.

Smirnov

Re: I have a Fujitsu Celsius R650 workstation

>>so a limit of 4 does seem reasonable

>Err no!

> I have a Fujitsu Celsius R650 workstation dating from 2007 running XP Pro x64, it has dual quad-

> core Xeon's. The 2012 R670 gave the option of dual Xeons with 6 cores/12 threads and a choice of

> XP Pro x86 or x64, Win7 Pro 64 or 32.

So what? These all are still 2 socket machines, irrespective of the number of cores.

> So it would seem MS don't really want this version of Win 10 to be used on high-end workstations,

> unless they mean a maximum of 4 physical processors...

Which is exactly what they mean.

BTW, normal Win 10 Pro runs fine (well, as fine as it can be said for this POS OS) on my HP z840 with two 8 core/16 threads XEON E5's and 128GB RAM.

Smirnov

Re: NT4 had a 4 core limit (server OS also) in the base OS

Back then there were no "cores", only CPUs (Sockets). And while NT 4 Server supported up to 4 CPUs, WindowsNT 4 Workstation came with a 2 CPU limit (NT4 Server Enterprise Edition supported 8 CPUs if I remember right, for multi-CPU x86 servers like Tandem Symmetry S20).

BlackBerry Motion: The Phone That Won't Die

Smirnov

Re: Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 Global Edition

I just ordered a Blackview BV8000 Pro - MediaTek P25 (which is faster than the SD625), 4180mAh battery, 6GB RAM, 64GB flash, 5" FHD screen, IP68, Dual SIM, Android 7 with regular updates, all for GBP220. From what I gather 3 days should be possible with light use. Plus the phone seems to be built like a tank.

Smirnov

Re: That's a good way to kill a Lithium rechargeable battery

"Running the battery down beyond 25% ... that's a good way to kill a Lithium rechargeable battery."

No, it's not. It's complete nonsense. Yes, Lithium-based rechargeable batteries lose most of their capacity when discharged too deeply but pretty much every device will switch off long before that point arrives.

Smirnov

Re: Actual testing would be nice

@m0rt: I agree re the unnecessary personal attack but other than that he's right. Most newer phones, when exhibited to a similar low demand usage, will manage 2 days or more. Heck, my current iPhone SE manages 2.5 days with a similar use profile, and this phone has a measly 1624mAh battery. Same with my old BlackBerry Passport (3450mAh battery). It tells you pretty much nothing how long the phone lasts when actually doing stuff with it.

You wrote that you suspect Andrew's phone gets a lot of real world use. Well, it won't, because for pretty much every user 'real world use' is something completely different. That's why credible reviewers use certain tests to find out how long the phone will last doing certain tasks, because contrary to your statement this does actually tell you how long the phone will most likely perform in your own use scenario. For example, if a phone say lasts 5 hrs playing back videos and 3hrs playing a demanding game then you know that per hour video you'll use approx 20% battery capacity and per hour of playing roughy 33% per hour. And from that it's pretty easy to calculate the drainage for your personal use case.

The article could pass as a first hands-on review, but it's far from being a credible test.

Breathless F-35 pilots to get oxygen boost via algorithm tweak

Smirnov

Re: Why oxygen generators?

Not all combat aircraft use oxygen generators (OBOGS), others like the Tornado use LOX (Liquid Oxygen) in a bottle.

The reason for prevalence of OBOGS on modern combat aircraft is that it's easier to maintain (handling LOX is pretty dangerous), also there's no need for replenishment as OBOGS extracts the oxygen from environmental air. The downsides of OBOGS are that it's difficult to monitor, and it's pretty much impossible to detect oxygen contamination.

As a flier, I'd go with LOX any time.

Xen Project wants permission to reveal fewer vulnerabilities

Smirnov

XenServer

"It's turnkey, freely available, and comes with management tools, not dissimilar to ESXi."

And as far as I know still relies on crufty old EXT3 as file system for local file storage, with all the drawbacks that come with it.

Oh, and building a local ISO repository is still torture.

XenServer is nice if you have large external storage arrays but on servers with local storage (pretty much the default for small and medium size businesses) it's nowhere near ESXi.

Why software engineers should ditch Silicon Valley for Austin

Smirnov

Re: Do not want

Exactly that. Why the hell would I want to live amongst people that believe Trump is a good choice for President?

Stupid law of the week: South Carolina wants anti-porno chips in PCs that cost $20 to disable

Smirnov

Re: Out of State

"Whilst, yes, Trump would be the last person to vote for in this case, you are wrong about the Trumo voters - most of who voted for Trump for these very reasons, but were too stupid to realise he was feeding the bullshit."

Not much different to Brexit where people fed up by austerity, bed room tax and other government shenanigans decided to protest by ejecting their country from the single largest market on earth - after having voted the same lot that caused all the misery in the first place voted back in again just a year ago.

Churchill was absolutely right when he said that the best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with your average voter. Stupid is as stupid does.

Busted Windows 8, 10 update blamed for breaking Brits' DHCP

Smirnov

This is not just a UK problem...

This isn't just a UK problem, it's a global issue:

http://www.golem.de/news/kein-internet-nach-windows-update-weltweit-computer-offline-1612-124990.html

(it seems German's media is a bit more thorough when researching issues)

In short, MS hosed up DHCP in one of the updates.

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020