A lot is broken we could fix it
The ecosystem is fundamentally broken. Until that changes we're not going to get decent privacy™.
1. The smart phone companies are inherently opposed to personal privacy, their commercial models can't stand it. Some computer companies too, sadly.
2. Unless we have parallel systems to the "app stores" we won't get privacy.
3. Much of the browser stock is made by people opposed to personal privacy, they won't give it to us. We need decent options.
4. Website and app creation has degenerated into an anti-privacy nightmare, the "developers" have become part of the problem. We need to re-educate and clean the stables.
5. Government has proven quite ignorant, incompetent and counter-productive in fixing it. Until individuals get to choose and opt-in, government and legislation is part of the problem and no real solution.
Against that people still need to advertise their products and services, find out about things... Human ingenuity can satisfy that together with what actual humans want.