Re: Leaving the EU
200 posts • joined 29 Nov 2012
I'm with @cornz on this one. Why do we need so many apps?
Have apps become the 'signalling statistic' like pixels on digital cameras, or GB (or MB, or TB) on disk drives? Bigger is always better?
I'd rather have 100 top-rate, top-quality, useful apps, than the current thousands of duplicated dross of wildly varying quality, and the only way to know which one (if any) of the 10 seemingly identical alternatives is actually any good is to install and try each one by hand.
I'd far rather have a curated list. Sorry if that sounds too Apple-y (and yes, I have a WinPhone).
That's what they all say, until you actually get down to brass tacks, then it's: "oh, we could do that before, and this too, and the opposite, and we absolutely HAVE to be able to carry on doing it that way".
The cost is in the exceptions.
But it's also what keeps us gainfully employed.
Confession: I haven't read through all of the comments...
I realise there's an element of "Who moved my cheese?!" in the reactions here, so I'm trying to be balanced, objective, and constructive.
I can live with most of the changes, but on the home page:
- I would like my red 'visited' colour back
- I liked the 'hot topics' carousel - though not necessarily the animation - rather more than the single big image now present
- I 'need' horizontal lines between the articles, they just feel too 'floaty' and destabilising
- I don't really like auto-popout-on-rollover, but it should be way slower to react
- On the article pages, the header image is WAY too big. If you really want to stick an image in there, leave it on the left in that big empty white column
Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021