Takes me back
When I worked in a place that ran AS400 / iSeries / i5 systems, we developers sensibly had our own box for dev work, separate to the live server.
Sometimes a new function or a fix would require a reasonably chunky bit of code to be run and, obviously, we'd try it first on the dev box to check it wasn't going to run wild and destroy all the account records.
Frequently these would result in calls from the sys-admin department calling to complain that "Your job is taking 85% of the processor" or something similar and a request to terminate the job to clear the alert on the big screen. Now obviously as developers (on the dev box) our usual ponder was "what's happening with the other 15% then?".
Various techniques were employed to see if we could get the jobs to run to completion, from being "on a call" (or at least the phone off the hook) when they might phone us, to prolonging the conversation about which job was a problem, to even coding in some 5 second sleeps every 20 seconds or so to reduce the persistence of the notification, just so the job would actually get a chance to run through to completion without getting terminated.
I can only remember a couple of occasions in 10 years where one of the other colleagues actually working on the dev box shouted across the office about not being able to do stuff because of server obstruction, so it wasn't exactly a significant issue!