Thanks to 007 up there ^ for this gem:
"Writing the synthesis was supported by a $26,000 research grant from the Beef Checkoff Program, which funds research and other activities, including promotion and consumer education, through fees on beef producers in the U.S."
"The Beef Checkoff Program increases profit opportunities for producers by keeping beef top-of-mind with consumers and purveyors, and by working to ensure a wholesome, quality beef-eating experience every time. Efforts include:
• Promoting high-quality U.S. beef in foreign countries.
• Working to continue growth in beef demand.
• Funding product-enhancement and beef-safety research programs to address safety and quality issues.
• Investing an average of $4 million annually on beef-safety and product-technology research.
• Delivering beef-enjoyment messages to consumers through a checkoff-funded national radio and print advertising campaign.
• Identifying management practices through Beef Quality Assurance (BQA) to strengthen consumer confidence in beef as a wholesome, safe quality product.
• Introducing new products into the marketplace. From 1996 to 2008, more than 2,500 new beef
products addressing consumer preferences reached the market."
Beef-enjoyment messages! Mmmm beefy goodness.
Yeah that UN report has been thoroughly debunked.
The Register sinks to a new low.