* Posts by James Coombs

11 publicly visible posts • joined 25 Apr 2007

Here come the riled MPs (it's private, huh), Facebook's a digital 'gangster' ('disingen-u-ous'). Zuckerberg he is a failure (on sharing data)

James Coombs

Re: The Hypocritic Oath

I'd prefer to read the report in full before reaching any conclusions. So far only about 1/5 of the way through the 111 pages. What I am picking up is the novel idea that people should understand *who* is telling them what to think.

Seems pretty sensible to me.

Parliamentary Trump-off? Pro-Donald petition passes 100k signatures

James Coombs

All these petitions ask for the same thing

Which one is gaining votes most quickly? Who cares - both are asking for the exactly the same outcome.

The original petition started two calendar months ago but was probably largely ignored until last Friday when Treezapeeza decided to use the queen as a bargaining chip to limit the wanton destruction she's carrying out in order to keep the Tory party together. Since Friday, literally 100s more petitions have been submitted to parliament who allowed one of these to continue (strictly speaking against their rules). They've then linked all the other 150 petitions to the second one (thus increasing the hit rate in search engines for the proTrump petition).

At last count roughly 1.75m + 175k petitioners are all asking parliament to debate whether Trump should be afforded a state visit or not. Still, it saves all that going out in the cold and wet and doing all that shouting.

James Coombs

"Appose" Is that KGB spelling?

I could only find the petition supporting his visit when searching Google at about 5pm. Adding a site directive returned 100s of marginally different worded petitions in support of Donald Duck's state visit.


Donald Trump should be allowed to enter the UK in his capacity ...

Donald Trump should make a State Visit to the United Kingdom ...

Donald Trump should be invited to make an official State Visit because ...

Allow Donald Trump to visit the UK for a state visit.

Support President Donald Trump in making his State Visit to the ...

Support Donald Trump and Invite him to make a State Visit to the ...

As we all know Donald trump is due over here for a state visit. Unfortunately there are narrow minded people trying to get him banned from ...

Looks to me like an organised attack on the petitions website (mind you they ask for it). I wonder if any members of the public have signed that counter petition?

Ready for ANOTHER patent war? Apple 'invents' wireless charging

James Coombs


Does this mean I'm going to have to pay Apple royalties to carry on using my electric toothbrush?

Brocade delivers 10gig FCoE switching

James Coombs

cheap :-)

Woooo only 700 green backs - I'll have a dozen of those please

Virgin Media network goes down down south

James Coombs

DNS servers down

DNS servers and were both down ALL last night. Now appears working (so I can post this.)

Microsoft's idea of Family Protection? Block Google

James Coombs

protecting children or M$?

I want to know if this is to protect our children or to protect Microsoft's profits. I might just go and search MS to see if I can find something I think my children shouldn't see ...

There's undoubtedly some dubious stuff on Google but only because Google maps the web which has some dubious stuff ... Have MS somehow miraculously come up with a search engine which only returns "safe" material?

The McNealy and Schwartz Sun legacy

James Coombs

mostly agree but ...

... on the server side HP Have the Titanic range which although developed in partnership with Intel is as good as proprietary. IBM also have their own proprietary so having both doesn't mark Sun out as unique in that respect.

The IT Crowd goes west

James Coombs

The real IT crowd

I saw a couple of episodes but it struck me as very dated. The characters weren't based in Mumbai using remote access and following scripts to fix 90% of the problems before giving up on the other 10%.

GMTV suspends phone-ins over scam allegations

James Coombs

So .... ?

"According to ... Panorama many had no chance of winning " ... whereas those who phoned in before the call handling centre had gone to bed for the night had _virtually_ no chance of winning. There doesn't seem to be a lot of difference to me.

OK so it's out-and-out fraud and those responsible should be locked up but I find it difficult to find sympathy for anyone who thinks they stand anything approaching a chance of winning.

Anyway, just make sure that I win that draw you were running for something last week :-)