Reply to post: Re: I suppose it's all moot for me personally?

Google wants to target you – yes, YOU – with AI-generated ads

Jellied Eel Silver badge

Re: I suppose it's all moot for me personally?

Websites can't disable Firefox extensions. If they could then UBlock, AdBlock, etc would all be disabled on every website.

And yet something did. Hence why I mentioned it..

If you don't agree show me the Firefox API that allows a website to disable extensions. (don't waste your time, there isn't one)

Again why I mentioned it, and asked if anyone knew how to log for stuff like this. Sequence was something like firing up the PC, firing up Firefox and doing my usual newsround to see what happened overnight. Extensions were running because news sites tend to run lots of ads. Then switched to YT tab, and extensions disabled. So then a malware check, ie virus scans, fired up wireshark to look for dubious connections etc.

But even if it were malware, it would have been a bit odd. Why would malware modify a browser in such an obvious way? Most malware would run via it's own C&C sessions, or a browser hijack would attempt to redirect traffic. Anyone even slightly security conscious would have been aware something happened when they were spammed with ads again. Plus coming shortly after Alphagoo said they were going to start blocking ad blockers, and only seemed to trigger when I landed on YT.. it's natural to be a bit suspicious.

(And it's not like 'undocumented' or broken APIs have enabled malware in the past..)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon