Reply to post:

EU legislates disclosure of copyright data used to train AI

Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Yes, the pretense that San Francisco is somehow the most difficult place in the world for an AV to operate is prima facie absurd. It's certainly not the hardest place in California – there are plenty of rural areas where online maps will be inaccurate and signage negligible, for example, and where there will be hazards like fallen rock and washouts. It's probably not the most difficult urban area in California; I don't know of a worse one offhand, but there are a lot of them, so that seems statistically likely.

Try running a robo-taxi service in the region around the Mountain Fastness (hey, we have a commercial airport, so theoretically there's demand) and you'd find out that SF is a doddle.

In the UK, as you wrote, rural areas could definitely be a challenge. How are these AVs at negotiating fords? How do they do with blind intersections? Can I take one over Hardknott Pass? (When I were a lad, I spent a few days in Cumbria with my folks. We had a hire car, and my father and I were looking at a map and spotted the pass, so of course we had to drive it. Really very pleasant and not at all difficult, but not being able to see the road past the bonnet of the car was an interesting experience, and the only way you knew of oncoming traffic was the wave of sheep that preceded it. Possibly not accounted for in the AV's model.)

And while I've never driven elsewhere in Europe, my understanding from TV is that the UK is relatively easy.

Hell, even New England is a lot harder to navigate than San Francisco. SF is not that far from Phoenix (beloved of AV firms) in terms of difficulty.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon