Reply to post: Re: Needs A Re-write......

Germany clocks that ripping out Huawei, ZTE network kit won't be cheap or easy

spold Silver badge

Re: Needs A Re-write......

And keeping in mind that the Global CISO for Huawei (not sure if he has retired yet, but at the time of this product development) was previously the CISO for the UK government and that the US CISO previously worked in a US government CISO role.

Yes, both US and China products for all companies will possess "Lawful Intercept Gateway"- LIG Ports, to allow legally authorised access to traffic, which of course could be abused.

The complex part at the individual level is binding IPs etc. to actual individuals, it can of course be achieved with legal access to Internet Service Provider data that could also be subject to authorised access. Also, it may be associated with the unique IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity) of a mobile device, or the IMSI (International Mobile Subscriber Identity) - which I can see when it flies through my switches even if the payload is encrypted - and if I think you are a "person of interest" allows me at least to see which other potential undesirables you are communicating with, and put them on my suspects list as well. In China this is all helpfully made easier in that if I buy a SIM card I have to show my passport/state ID at the time of purchase, thus binding these two numbers to me without troubling the provider.

Really, the only things different are the motivations of the interested parties.

(Please no gratuitous downvotes just for mentioning Huawei, China, or pointing out some facts).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon