Reply to post: Re: you're all idiots

If Tesla Investor Day was about exciting investors then boy did it fail

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: you're all idiots

I suspect it's behind a paywall, but this article could be helpful to you:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/04/opinion/ford-tesla-bluecruise-self-driving-remote-work.html.

A couple of quotes (I hope NYT doesn't mind):

"Ford also tends to make good on its promises, an area that’s become increasingly fraught for Tesla. Ford said it would offer a hands-free driver assist system, and now it does, with BlueCruise; you can take your hands off the steering wheel when it is engaged on premapped sections of highway. Tesla’s Full Self-Driving system is not hands-free in any situation, despite its name, and Tesla charges customers $15,000 for the feature on the promise that someday it will make the huge leap to full autonomous driving.

If you want to pay $15,000 for a feature that’s currently subject to a National Highway Traffic Safety Administration recall whose filing is titled “Full Self-Driving Software May Cause Crash,” don’t let me stop you, but a Tesla engineer also recently testified that a company video purporting to show the system in flawless action was faked. This makes sense, given all the other very real videos of Full Self-Driving doing things like steering into oncoming traffic or braking to a complete stop on a busy street for no reason. Tesla’s own website warns, “The currently enabled features require a fully attentive driver, who has their hands on the wheel and is prepared to take over at any moment.” So, full self-driving, except for that."

"Maybe predictability isn’t trendy, but if you buy a new car you’d probably like to think that its manufacturer won’t cut the price by $13,000 the next week, thus destroying your car’s resale value. And you might hope that features you pay for work on the day you pay for them, and not at some unspecified future date. Maybe you want a car from a company whose C.E.O. isn’t indelibly associated with the product."

As I have said before, Tesla had first mover advantage. Musk squandered that, and even more so now he's wasting time at Twitter to basically try to save his ego, as that appears more important to him than the companies that need him, even if just for investor and client confidence. I cannot call that "genius" in any way, shape or form.

It's business, not religion.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon