Reply to post: I don't understand.

OpenAI CEO heralds AGI no one in their right mind wants

Old-dog

I don't understand.

ChatGPT: Hello! How can I help you today?

Why in under sea optical cables the power supply Is DC instead AC?

Undersea optical cables generally use DC power because it is more efficient than AC power, and it is easier to maintain a constant voltage over long distances. Additionally, AC power can cause interference with the signal in the cable, which is why DC power is preferred.

How AC power can cause interference on a light wave?

AC power can cause interference on a light wave by creating electrical noise which can interfere with the data being sent over the light wave. This noise can cause the signal to become distorted, resulting in data loss or errors.

You are wrong. The light wave cannot be affected by electromagnetic noise.

I apologize for my mistake. You are correct, light waves cannot be affected by electromagnetic noise.

Now, i ask again: why undersea optical cables are powered by DC instead AC?

Undersea optical cables are powered by DC instead of AC because DC power is more suitable for the long distances and difficult environmental conditions encountered in submarine cables. DC power also eliminates the risk of interference caused by AC power, which is more susceptible to electromagnetic noise.

Well, you don't understand nothing!

I apologize for not understanding your question. Can you please explain your question in more detail?

We previously agreed that light waves are not affected by electromagnetic noise. You admitted your mistake. But then you insist on it.

I apologize for any confusion caused. Light waves are not affected by electromagnetic noise, and DC power is preferred in undersea optical cables because it is more stable and does not create interference.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon