Reply to post: Re: Forums?

I can't do that, Dave: AI drowns top sci-fi mag with story submissions

doublelayer Silver badge

Re: Forums?

If you are interested enough, you can get a set of friends who all like what they're told to like. This can work if you can't actually get a bot army to do it for you. When you come down to it, why have a chatbot write a story, anyway? There are only two reasons that make sense: you want to get paid for writing a story and you don't want to do the work or you want to show off that you wrote a story and you don't want to do the work. Both are subject to artificial voting.

In addition, there's not that much incentive for non-artificial voting. Would you like to read ten thousand sci-fi short stories, a few thousand of them generated by a chatbot, a few more thousand generated by people who can't write but think they can (and some of those the kind of people who don't understand what periods or paragraph breaks are for), a thousand on topics that are not of interest to you (for me, it's the kind of people who write a story with magic but think that because there's a spaceship, it must be sci-fi), all in the hope that one or two of them are actually good? You'd spend so much time reading bad stories that you might not make it to the first good one. Even editors start with a summary or an excerpt and end up skimming some things before they decide whether to take on a novel, and they're expecting to make a profit from doing it. I don't have the time to be an unpaid filtering editor when I can go buy the result of someone else's filter.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon