Reply to post:

What Brit watchdog redacted: Google gives Apple cut of Chrome iOS search revenue

big_D Silver badge

What I do notice is that people who tend to prefer Safari are the same people that will fight hard with MacOS insisting that it is a perfectly usable "work" system. It clearly sucks for Enterprise level stuff. Especially since people insist on using the MacOS calendaring and email packages which have, as long as I've been aware of them, sucked the big one.

Sync errors, duplication, email not sending. Stop me if you've heard these problems before with Macs.

I am currently using a MacBook Air M1 as a replacement for my ThinkPad T480, which barfed last week, corrupting my profile and refusing to open documents, so is in the midst of being rebuilt. Everythign I need (RDP to manage server, SSH likewise, TeamViewer, Teams, Office, VOIP etc.) all works fine on the Mac - in fact, the official Microsoft RDP client on macOS is actually better than the RDP application and the RDP app on Windows, combined.

Microsoft Outlook is the only one that sucks on Mac, it can't connect to an Exchange server (it says "coming soon", when you try), so I am using Apple Mail, Calender and Contacts at the moment. I've not experienced any real problems with that set-up so far, other than setting a tick on completed emails under tracking. A minor annoyance.

I'm seeing similar patterns with C suite execs struggling to work on iPad Pro devices now instead of just getting a solid laptop. Even if you tell them up front "you can try, but remotely supporting one when you're on a business trip can be either really fucking annoying or basically impossible, you'll be fucked". To which the reply is usually "yeah but Apple kit is solid, once it's been configured it'll keep working" to which my response is "fair enough, it's your decision".

We push TeamViewer onto all iDevices through our MDM solution. This makes remote support easier.

Our IT manager is flexible, "as long as you can do your job, I don't care what OS you use." A colleague is using Linux, I picked up the spare Mac that was laying around gathering dust (was bought for MDM purposes, but we ended up not needing it), instead of ordering a new laptop.

CEO: "right, I've been here a week and I notice that you're constantly pissed off, what is it?"

Me: It's the Apple kit. It's shit for business, costs you a fortune in my time l, wastes my time, I'd rather be billing other clients for more lucrative work.

It sounds like the Apple kit isn't the problem here. I've been supporting mixed Microsoft/Apple/Linux environments since the late 80s. There are some applications that work better on one or the other platform, but they can all be made to work well together without too much trouble. The best tool in the admin's toolbox for getting Apple kit to work properly with a Windows infrastructure is an open mind.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon