Reply to post:

Don't bore us, get to the Horus: Elementary OS 7 is here and looking good

Liam Proven (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

[Author here]

> And similar to Apple Search? Isn't that Command-Spacebar ? Which may map to Ctrl or Win on a PC-labeled keyboard?

Command is Super on xNix, which is "the Windows key" on MS-branding-compliant kit.

But Haiku, GNUstep and the Hello System all do this too. I personally dislike it, but apparently, for many people, they remember the physical location of the key, not the function. Puzzling to me -- my msucle memory is by functional role, not what is next to the spacebar -- but hey.

Yes, I agree with you. I do not like the way Elementary simply does not implement things that are givens on Windows, or macOS, or other Linuxes.

But I give them this credit: they implement a minimal set of what they want, it looks good and it's very clean and consistent, and that seems to be enough to keep a lot of people happy. This is what I tried to spell out: if you have an existing way of working, existing muscle memory, then this environment won't work well for you and isn't adaptable or customisable to make it so.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon