Reply to post: Unnerving

FOSS could be an unintended victim of EU crusade to make software more secure

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Unnerving

I make bespoke MES software for industrial plants. I'm fairly sure the type of programs I make are going to fall under the strictest guidelines, requiring third-party certification. I don't directly move tons of screaming metal, but I'm closer than most.

On one side, I'm nervous about this, because it would mean that I have to invest a lot of time and effort in securing everything and getting it certified. So far, I haven't done it, because no customer is willing to pay for it, and I can't get undercut by competitors - not by that much. I already charge high fees riding on a good reputation, but there are limits to that.

On the other, I'm giddy about this, because it would mean that finally I could invest the proper time and effort in securing everything, and get paid for it. Because most of my competition would just implode. They're mostly tiny businesses run by cowboys. Mind ya, that goes for me too, but at least I know I would be capable of securing my stuff if I could just get paid for it. Lots of them get their software done by an electrician. Good luck securing that.

On the other other hand, I'm nervous again, because another way this could fall is that some of the really big companies decides to eat my niche. I guess that in that case I'll either try to make mad money while they gather steam and retire early before they crush me, or get them to hire me.

In all cases, this is a potential earthquake. Unnerving.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon