Reply to post: 2008 - the year the world seem to stop turning

Rate of disruptive tech and science discoveries has slowed over the decades, claims study

Plest Silver badge
Windows

2008 - the year the world seem to stop turning

In the 1990s it seemed like anything was possible, tech and discovery was racing ahead. We had gagdets, the internet was maturing enough for normal people to use it and it seemed like we'd finally have our "cars on the moon" by 2030....

We hit sometime around 2008 and the world just seemed to stop spinning and has been stuck in time, at times even feels like going backwards with COVID like a middle ages plague, strikes all over that Watt Tyler would be proud of and basically the same tech as we had back in 1998. Are our state of the art PCs really any different to that state of the art Pentium with 32MB of memory you bought back in the day?

Now all management schools churn out are MBAs, they don't manage anything other than budgets. The MBA is simply a cert to get you middle-management job with little experience in a field and then all you do is fight tooth and nail to make profit at the expense of all else. If you have to fire someone just 'cos they're not quite up to spec then do it, hire in someone with more drive and no idea what they're doing, rinse and repeat until something marketable comes from it. Sadly now it's taken 2-3 times longer than expected and competitors have beaten you to market, so you just quit and go do same thing at another company. The world now full of "project managers" that simply move in like locust, obliterate in the name of profit and then move on.

At the age of 50 I think I'll just get back to my old rocker and keep yelling at the kids to get off my lawn.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon