Reply to post: Re: Long Term Bonkers

Elon Musk's cost-cutting campaign at Twitter extended to not paying rent, claims landlord

juice

Re: Long Term Bonkers

> Kia/Hyundai are addressing the travel issues with models that can charge from 10-80% in under 20 minutes. On my long trips, 20 minutes has been an average non-meal stop. About half of that time is spent refueling, but I need more time now to stretch my legs than I used to

I'll partly agree with this.

I recently had to travel to a data centre with a colleague which is about ~60 miles away; we met at work and then drove over there in his (Hyundai, I think) eCar.

Then on the way back, we stopped at a service station, plugged the car in for a recharge and went to grab food. And when we came back around 25m later, his car battery had slurped up about 50% of it's capacity.

And there were around a dozen charging stations scattered around the service station's car park, of which about two-thirds were unused.

On the other hand... the reason why we had to stop was because the estimated range for his car had pretty much been cut in half, thanks to a combination of near-zero temperature affecting the battery, the need to have heating on in the car and the extra weight of a passenger and a couple of servers.

Put simply, if we hadn't stopped, we'd have ended up pushing the car all the way home.

To be fair, that sort of thing is all part of the learning curve for new technology. But having up to a 35% hit to your range when there's low temperature is a pretty major thing to have to work around!

Still, at least there's no risk of a battery freezing solid if we get any siberian weather conditions, unlike my old diesel workhorse ;)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon