Reply to post:

Miniature nuclear reactors could be the answer to sustainable datacenter growth

MachDiamond Silver badge

"These micro reactors are exciting because they will be on site which means they can be used for their thermal output as well as their electrical output, so a glass factory or paper mill could directly use the heat from the micro reactor instead of burning gas or needing to use electricity to generate it"

It will probably be better to site the reactor first and then locate appropriate businesses nearby that can use the heat and are big power customers. I'm with you on the co-gen aspect. I can easily envision hectares of hot houses near a nuclear power station growing fruit and veg all year long. I'm not sure a glass factory is a good fit, but a paper mill might. Drywall production is another industry that uses lots of process heat. Food packing would work well in conjunction with the hot houses. Heinz could grow the beans and tomatoes, combine all the ingredients and steam cook the tins all in one place. Even if they need to add some energy for the steam cooking process, starting with 80C-90C water would drop the bills a bunch.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon