Reply to post: Re: IBM Model F Keyboard Horrors

Why would a keyboard pack a GPU and run Unreal Engine? To show animations beneath the clear keys, natch

jake Silver badge

Re: IBM Model F Keyboard Horrors

"I have lots of pre-IBM-PC keyboard experience"

So do I.

I also still have and use lots of pre-IBM PC keyboards. Your memory is perhaps viewed through rose tinted glasses? There is no way I would consider any of the pre-F keyboards that I own and/or have used superior to the F as shipped with the 5150. The backslash key placement never really bothered me. The wells in the keycaps just assisted with feedback for a touch-typist. IMO, of course.

And of course there were so many new keyboards appearing at that time that we were used to switching between them.

The AT version of the Model F, that one pissed me off and I had to do some serious keyboard remapping. I never did find out what idiot decided that the <esc> key belonged with the 10-key. From that point onward I just re-mapped pretty much every keyboard to suit myself. Even the Model M that eventually replaced the Model F in the AT line.

I still primarily use a (remapped) Model M. Best keybR0ad ever made for the touch-typist, IMO.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon