Reply to post: Re: The Emperor is a rotting corpse!

Amazon, Games Workshop announce Warhammer 40k film deal

Jellied Eel Silver badge

Re: The Emperor is a rotting corpse!

Yet more evidence that people using the word 'wokeness' would do well to define what they actually mean by it. Otherwise it just becomes a tribal badge. As in "Woke is whatever I don't like and I don't have to tell you why".

There are plenty of definitions available. Even here-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woke

Or watch Critical Drinker, Disparu and plenty of other reviews. For Bored of the Rings, it was also the reaction from the show. So they reflexivly attacked critics because those critics must be racist, sexist etc. Reality is the show trampled all over the lore, and suffered from terrible writing. A prime example would be the recharacterisation of Galadriel, which was nothing like she was portrayed in Tolkien's work. Descended from elven royalty, a consumate diplomat. Yet in the show, she came across as a petulant brat with a 'tempest in me'. The show also assumed critics were attacking the actor, when the actor was just doing her best with the script she was given.

It doesn't matter if you're richer than god and nearly immortal, and poorer humans are your playthings, as disposable as tissue paper. The TV series conveyed this well, and violently and graphically to boot.

I think Altered Carbon stayed closer to the book, but it was criticised for it's violence and portrayal of women. It changed Kovacs and the Envoys from being government special forces to plucky freedom fightes, because the hero couldn't be the oppressor. Changing the villain to his sister instead of a mob boss also didn't really make sense. But then came Woke Furies, which bore little resemblance to the book. Falconer's character was completely changed, Kovacs became a bit player stumbling around while Falconer ran the show. Then there was the AI relationship between Poe and Dig, complete with twitching avatars because they needed a visual representation of the AI's doing something.

Which was a shame. Season 2 may have had budget cuts, so changed the story to one that could be shot in a couple of set locations. But Richard Morgan's work is all about identity anway, ie as you say jumping into a new sleeve. Plus if you've read Market Forces, or Black Man, you'll know he's probably not a fan of the Vampire Squid. Of course Black Man got retitled to 'Th1rte3n', because people who hadn't read it just objected to the title, and missed the point(s) of the novel.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon