Reply to post: You can't get fired for buying...

Microsoft to buy 4% of London Stock Exchange in 10-year platform deal

andy 103
Facepalm

You can't get fired for buying...

... Microsoft? Really, Microsoft??

Well, it seems so.

The number of companies I've seen using Office 365 / Dyanmics / Teams since the (first) lockdown is insane. I even had a call with a hosting vendor we use which largely offers Linux based servers only to find the call was on Teams and pretty much the entire company - aside from the infrastructure they sold - was running on MS tech! Bonkers.

Personally the last time I used any MS tech in my day-to-day work was around 8 years ago. I haven't kept up but it seems to me like they're eating up a big chunk of the market. Market for what though? We know the world runs on Excel, has done for the last 20+ years, and I can't see that going away any time soon. Maybe that's the reason: because they are The Excel People (TM) as far as those who make decisions on what tech to use goes.

After that conversation with my hosting provider the one thing that stuck out was... it doesn't really matter what the use-case or business need is... somebody can fill it with a Microsoft "solution" even if it involves a clusterfuck of import/export Excel file routines to make things "work". Throw in a few Power BI charts and the board-level folks will be kept happy.

It blows my mind that even though it's nearly 2023 everything still lives in Excel and so much other software is just a means to import from, or export to it. Creating multiple sources of truth and a shit ton of problems.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon