Reply to post: Re: probably wasn't an act of terrorism

Gunfire at electrical grid kills power for 45,000 in North Carolina

Jellied Eel Silver badge

Re: probably wasn't an act of terrorism

This doesn't cause much disruption because "periodically" only means once every 6months or so (and this is frequent enough that the street furniture is arranged to not be in their way, so the convoy leaves town at a sensible pace).

One of my favorite photos is of the bow section of one of our Astute submarines being transported through a residential area in Barrow. Imagine waking up, looking out the window and thinking "OMG! Sea level rises are real!". But logistics are often a challenge, and a big cost. I've read a few planning applications for wind farms, and their problem's more length than weight, especially in rural areas. So applications have required roads widening, junctions re-sculpting, banks removed along with hedges and trees. Some of that isn't exactly environmentally friendly, plus there can be murky financial deals. So spinning costs as 'road improvements' and councils picking up the costs rather than the developers.

In this case, I guess that's less of an issue, although lack of iinfrastructure investment and road maintenance in the US may limit the routes that can be used for heavy haulage due to weight restrictions on old bridges etc.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon