Reply to post:

Linux Lite 6.2: Latest release from distro with a misleading name

Binraider Silver badge

Regarding the distro itself; it is definitely "heavy". It's too big for many of the shovelware netbooks that other linux distros can save from the recycling.

If the target market is Windows users; then emphasis on transition is probably an important feature. Chrome is what it is - common - so that is an understandable choice albeit not one I would make. (Says me posting this from Chrome on a work-related laptop because the available alternative is Edge).

The out of box experience and installation of "essential" tools is critical in a Windows transition environment. Not wholly forgivable to have user-interface in install time with messaging that might not be understood. What does Linux Lite do that other distros don't already do; better? As an established linux user, I have no reason to look backwards to this. I would be hard pressed to recommend it as a way forward for a "new" user either.

Today, I'd point totally new users to Mint and nothing else. Power "windows" users once you have a clue what you are doing? Probably Manjaro or MX. And then at that point for the uber keen to learn internals (rather than just using an appliance) to suffer a Gentoo walkthrough...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon