Reply to post: College Love

A brand new Linux DRM display driver – for a 1992 computer

PyroBrit

College Love

The year was 1984, a brand now college opens in Swindon, ironically called "New College" and the primary computer on campus was BBC Model B attached to the Econet Network and sharing a 20mb Hard disk. Pretty much every classroom had one along with the 20 odd in the computer room.

The secondary computer room however, was fitted with half a dozen Atari ST which turned into my fave computer of that time. They were so new that the OS was still on bootable floppy and the 3.5" floppy discs were single sided. It took a few months before upgrades included OS on ROM.

After leaving college in 1986 and entering the real world of a career in IT, my first pay packet was to buy an ST512. Subsequent upgrades were to replace the floppy disk drive with a double sided 1.4MB version and Evesham Micros sold a memory upgrade kit. This required the soldering of 8 memory chips and 8 capacitors direct to the motherboard after you had used a solder sucker to clear the holes for the chips legs to sit in.

Sadly, I'm of an age now that a task such as that requires a large magnifying glass, a lot of light and a very steady hand.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon