Reply to post: Re: Totally Clueless!

Rackspace customers rage as email outage continues and migrations create migraines

Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Re: Totally Clueless!

Oh yeah, when I worked at the university here (this was in 1999 so no smart phone to save the day..), ITS ("IT Services") decided one day to cut off the internet service to our building. I called in to ITS's service line.. have them turn our internet service back on... to which they suggested they have a web form to request service calls (this of course is a form only accessible from within the university's network). I pointed out, our internet has been shut off, which flew right over their head, they suggested the web form again. So I directly explained, with no internet service I can not load any web pages. They suggested e-mailing somebody next, so I had to then point out no internet means no e-mail either.

ITS was in fact bad enough that the computer science department paid for their own internet connection just to avoid having to interconnect to the university network and so have ITS think they could come in and fiddle with stuff in the building (after a few years of this, ITS came to an agreement where they provided service to the building but could not touch anything past the "outside connection" network switch.)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon