Reply to post: Cloud

Just 22% of techies in UK aged 50 or older, says Chartered Institute for IT

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Cloud

I just recently did a couple of AWS certifications, largely because my current employer is in the partner program so some of the online training is free, and we get to claim exam expenses back (about the only "perk" in my current job besides getting paid), and as they are aggressively cutting staff it will help if I'm redundant within the next 3 years.

As someone in my mid 60's who like many here started with 6502 processors, through DOS, then Netware and then innumerable versions of Windows and Linux I must say I found it challenging.....lmao well no not really, firewall and gateways, TCP/IP whatever shall I do?, and in a nice friendly GUI or easy to understand CLI lmao

The Cloud is pretty much like leasing a car, sure you get a nice new shiny, but you pay through the nose for it over and over again, Amazon make a big thing about scalability but if you tested and did your sums right it's unlikely you will need extra capacity once it's settled down and you get a good baseline. After a while reality sets in and the accounts department starts yelling like mad to reduce the number of instances and services.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon