Reply to post: Re: Perl is confusing

‘Mother of Internet’ Radia Perlman argues for centralized infrastructure

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Perl is confusing

> Nope, you seem to be cherry picking for the sake of your own argument. She's referring specifically to governance, ie. business and political aspects.

I quoted an entire paragraph from the article, where she clearly is quoted as saying: "It usually does mean that there are multiple servers so it doesn’t mean single point of failure". "Servers" are technology, and have nothing to do with governance.

Where in the article does she address the single point of business or pollitical failure that "Centralized means one organization is in charge." brings?

> Twitter isn't any kind of technology but an advertising company based around the inane things people say.

What a nonsense argument. You think Twitter doesn't use a LOT of technology to provide their advertising and facilitate people saying inane things at the scale they do?

Certainly they have "multiple servers" and "data stored in lots of places", so there's no single point of failure right? No problem with a single organization being in control of it all, right? No chance that a change in management may bring the whole thing to ruin, right?

> A better analogy would be, oh I don't know, the internet DNS.

I wasn't making an analogy - I was giving a direct example of the business and political risks of centralization of services.

Have you taken your dried frog pills today?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon