Reply to post: Re: It's not necessarily wrong to demand staff spend most days in the office.

'What's the point of me being in my office, just because they want to see me in the office?'

Elongated Muskrat Silver badge

Re: It's not necessarily wrong to demand staff spend most days in the office.

So, you admit yourself that some people are most productive when working from home, and others are not. Your conclusion is then that one size fits all and everyone needs to be in the office some of the time? That's one hell of a nonsequitur. The reasoning for this is far from clear.

Some people benefit from "standing round the water cooler" chatting, and some find it to be a distraction. Some can't operate without the hubbub of other people around them, and for others it breaks their concentration.

The obvious conclusion is that some people benefit from an office environment, and for others it is detrimental.

If people prefer to work from home, and are more productive, requiring them to be in the office when they don't want to be is just bullshit. It also depends on what their job is. Touchy-feely stuff is best done face-to-face. Touchy-feely stuff is also the stuff that is, IMHO, most likely to be a waste of time.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon