Reply to post: Re: People leaving Twitter are doing the same.

Elon Musk to abused Twitter users: Your tormentors are coming back

Aurelia

Re: People leaving Twitter are doing the same.

Telling abused users (who are almost always part of identifiable groups who get attacked, eg. women), that they have to leave, instead of the offender—- after some of us get public rape and death threats?

It is just turning the web into another Afghanistan, or Saudi Arabia where women can’t appear uncovered or walk down a sidewalk or speak in public without getting beaten.

These harassers don’t just show up on twitter or Instagram. when they get mad enough they find us IRL at home, or work. I know women who had bomb threats sent to their kids schools, businesses and clients tracked down, worst, I know kids who get targeted by Sextortion schemes. (Google RCMP Sextortion investigations)

So many of the people Musk is letting back on have done terrible crimes, and not “just” hate speech, Death threats are crimes. And then there is slander, libel, conspiracy to commit sedition….

Interestingly…Twitter has been far more helpful in the last few years with police investigations, it used to take them so long to respond. I guess that will be a problem again. Snapchat OTOH responds instantly, and is really helpful.

And yes receiving subpoenas and tracking all the information police need to convict these offenders takes time, and human beings to do it.

But just like I have the right to walk through a private mall, I also have the same right as men or anyone else to walk where I want without risking assault.

And Elon has ruined that corner of the net.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon