Reply to post: Absolutely not!

If Apple's environmental rhetoric is meaningful, Macs and iPads should converge

David Lawton

Absolutely not!

iPads are a touch first device, Mac's are curser keyboard/mouse first devices. They should not mix. Microsoft really screwed things up with Windows 8 trying to do a 1 device solution , in fact it was Windows 8 that made me buy my first ever Mac after using nothing but Windows for 20 years previously and always being more anti-apple.

Apple have got it right, there is usually a trade off when you cater for 1 type of input. I use the right device for the right moment. I'm not against Apple allowing the user to install MacOS on an iPad Pro with M1/M2 should they wish to do so, add a keyboard and mouse to it and it would function very well as a Mac. I think this is what they will do at some point as MacOS keeps getting more finger friendly each OS. Spacing on menu bar in Big Sur, change to Settings from System Preferences in Ventura.

If you watch Apple closely you can see when they are up to something well in advance, such as removing 32 Bit app support in Catalina, looking back this was in preparation for moving to ARM based chips so they only have to port x64 support over, if they did not MacOS would be much bigger if it supported x86, x64 and ARM. Also the iPhone 5S was the first 64 bit phone ever, it seemed odd and unnecessary at the time, but this was Apple working on their own chips years in advance to eventually put them in to Mac's.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon