Reply to post:

Someone has to say it: Voice assistants are not doing it for big tech

Martin Summers Silver badge

If they wanted to monetise it properly, it amazes me they've not started charging the likes of TP-Link for access to the platform so that people can use their equipment. That should be where they're getting the money from and not trying to push unwanted useless features at us, and some would allege spying on our habits. These smart device manufacturers are making bank on their hardware that most of the time uses the likes of Alexa to function and Amazon are making nothing from that relationship. For the most part they really are a solution looking for a problem. It's not like they're even frictionless within their own product range. I caved and bought a blink doorbell as it was really cheap. Does it work as I imagined it would and pop up on the waste of money that is the echo show I purchased? Does it heck.

I'm not surprised it's not going anywhere if they can't even make it work for their own products. They went into more depth on this lossmaker on Ars. If the new boss really doesn't care much for Alexa then I imagine it won't be long before he stems the billions of pounds of losses and pulls the plug for all other than Prime subscribers.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon