Reply to post: Re: Its more a problem with tech culture

Elon Musk issues ultimatum to Twitter staff: Go hardcore or go home

MachDiamond Silver badge

Re: Its more a problem with tech culture

"we've been paying far too many people far too much for too long to make a sustainable business."

I've seen the fallacy of some execs that think if they can throw more people or money at something, it will get done or improve. As an engineer, I can see that any project has to have an optimum number of people and a sufficient budget to go as fast as it will go. There is also the execthink that they have to put their offices in a certain place because that's where the "talent" is or wants to be. I've always found that stupid since I've never wanted to live in any of those S-hole places with super high cost of living. While I enjoy the odd concert now and again, I can always travel to a city to see a favorite band. I much prefer to live outside of the city as I also enjoy the outdoors and being able to own my own home much more than attending the ballet or theatre (maybe twice a year).

If the cost of living is high, salaries have to be high or there's no way staff can afford to live in the area or even commute to the office. Even traditionally low paying positions in the mail room or custodial staff have to be paid a premium or there'd be nobody that could afford to do the work. Combine too many people on staff and the premium costs and that puts a huge obstacle in the way of turning revenue into profit.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon