Reply to post: Re: Flawed

NASA's Artemis mission finally launches after faulty Ethernet switch delayed countdown

John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Flawed

You;re right about the Starship booster only doing engine tests. Starship itself has flown and landed multiple times. You're also right about the launchpad and a probably re-design if it's to cope with a proper launch. They can build rockets but can't yet pour concrete to survive the heat and pressure.

On the other hand, SLS has been in development a lot, lot longer and has only just achieved it's first launch and NASA already has those skills and facilities that SpaceX are still learning. Mind you, it's an impressive launch, all the way to the Moon and hopefully back to a successful, if very quick, reentry. I hope they got their sums right on the heat shield.

I strongly suspect the first Starship launch will, at the most, be to orbit. The SpaceX track record so far doesn't indicate that they will go for a full size mission on a first launch. But I also expect SpaceX to move quickly once they are ready for a full stack launch and to repeat and improve quickly too, probably with some spectacular failures along the way.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon