Reply to post: Re: You get what you order

Go ahead, be rude. You don't know it now, but it will cost you $350,000

Caver_Dave Silver badge
Unhappy

Re: You get what you order

1990's I had a 'touch' with the rear bumper of another car when they stopped suddenly 1/2 way across a junction. It had cracked the fog light lens, but not damaged the bulb inside. There was hardly anyone about and no other cars around. I exchanged details with the driver (who was on his own) and heard nothing more.

2 (two) years later I had a call from MY insurance company insisting that one of their loss adjusters visited me at my work. I rang the company back on their published number as it seemed like a scam to me, but the company said that they could see the booking in their electronic diary.

The guy came around as was VERY heavy handed wanting to know why I had not spoken to them in the last 6 months to report the accident. Did I know that was a criminal offence, etc.? As I had no accident since that 'touch' it took me a while to work out who I had "rear-ended at high speed writing off the car."

Obviously, the guy in the other car had another accident and was trying to blame it on me. I argued this, pointing out that the car would have passed at least one MOT since the 'touch' I had, and so I could not be responsible. But this was apparently trumped by the 3 people in the car that I had written off and the 3 people in the car following me, witnessing the accident 6 months previously.

The ultimatum was pay £300, or be reported to the Police for not reporting the accident and be placed on the insurance black-list and never be able to get insurance again.

Talking later to people in the insurance business and Police, this sort of fabrication was quite common and with the "witnesses" there is nothing you can do about it. As soon as dash-cams became available I bought one!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon