Reply to post: Re: Just for context, Elon Musk tweeted:

Elon Musk shows what being Chief Twit is all about across weird weekend

Jellied Eel Silver badge

Re: Just for context, Elon Musk tweeted:

I also wonder about the security at Chez Pelosi. Alarms and CCTV aren't barriers to criminals getting in and doing bad things. In this case it sounds much like it was a complete nut job that broke in and smashed the insider trading drink driver's head. I have to wonder if Paul was on the booze and let go of the hammer he was wrestling over since the police had arrived or just finally lost his grip.

It doesn't really matter if Pelosi was drunk or not. He'd have a right to be in the privacy of his own home. The affidavit though said the nutjob broke in via the rear of the house, and found Paul Pelosi in his bedroom. Most decent security systems let you set up zones, so downstairs is alarmed, upstairs isn't.

Does this house have no panic room? Did Nancy arrange this? You'd think the Pelosi's would have 24hr security given her position similar to the President and VP.

Fair question. Many VIP homes do, and bedrooms or en-suite bathrooms are popular choices. Nancy obviously has a security detail, but some or all of them would have been travelling with her. I guess that's a wider question for US politics in what security politicians should expect, or can expense. Tucker Carlson makes some good points here-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4NFYNnTOX8

Especially around the issue of transparency. Initial reports had very little in the way of facts, so conspiracy theories were generated. Carlson makes the point about a potential 'third man', because the affidavit is vague around who opened the door. Personally, I suspect that was Pelosi, but bodycam footage should make that clear. The police have been getting quicker at releasing that kind of footage because showing what happens helps create false narratives that are quickly spread by social and regular media. Police shoot unarmed man. Police brutality! Replace police with social workers! and the videos show the person was armed, and the shooting justified. Mostly.

But the narrative was quickly framed as political violence from a right-wing extremist, and it's all the fault of the Russians. I mean Republicans. No real evidence for that. It does seem clear that it was politically motivated given the target, but it seems like the nutjob leaned to the left rather than right. Or that's just another problem with polarised politics. If you're not entirely in line with the left's mindset, you're an extreme MAGA Republican. Even though the far-left has a long history of violence in the US.

Nutjob's getting arraigned this afternoon though, so more actual facts may emerge. Or more likely it'll be a short hearing and off to pre-trial detention. Which is something that should be happening to more violent and mentally disturbed people, but often they're just bailed back on to the streets to reoffend.. Except this case is special, because of the victim. The rules seem different, if you're one of the elite.

I'd argue it does make the case for self-defence though. Nutjob could have learned that bringing a hammer to a gunfight was a bad idea, despite what the fairies told him. But Dems are unlikely to accept that view given many of them are pathologically anti-gun.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon