Reply to post: Awfully Inadequate

Enterprises are rolling out more AI – to 'middling results'

Big_Boomer Silver badge

Awfully Inadequate

That's my take on AI. Not one of these AI systems are artificially intelligent. At best they are neural networks that have learned to take a trained/educated guess at something and have a high-ish chance of being correct. However, they are often incorrect and therefore utterly useless if the data is to have any value at all. I've seen a lot of AI hype over the last few years and I still maintain that at best what they are selling are Expert Systems and that there is ZERO Intelligence in any of their systems. It reminds me of all those silly psychometric tests that HR types thought were the dogs-danglies until someone actually researched their effect and it turned out that they were utterly useless and it would have been just as effective to just bin every other CV. These Expert Systems do seem to be pretty good at pattern recognition and can process data WAY faster than humans, but the positives still need that trained human eye to confirm that they are correct and THAT is where the Intelligence comes in. One day we may well have Artificial Intelligence but not for some time yet.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon